moloo©¬experience the real¬

2.5.05

"efie ne fie"

literal translation "home is home" or better still "there is no place like home". I feel patriotic today. This guy on the ghanaweb site almost gave me a fit. Ghanaweb is one of the foremost Ghana news pages, and I wasnt payed to plug anything. So i head over to see how things are back home and this editorial piece jumps out at me "Liberians looking down on Ghana ...". Wtf?!?!#@$#. that was my first response, then I calmed myself down; there had to be something wrong if this article was on a Ghana news webpage. If you don't understand my reaction well u need to get schooled on the socio-political landscape of West Africa, at least going back the last 15 yrs. With the neverending war that plagued Liberia, Ghana - my happy home, became a hospitable neighbor. We accepted floods of Liberian immigrants and feted them with our local delicacies and the thrombing sounds of uninhibited highlife music. Even now, with the war very much over in Liberia, a large number of Liberian immigrants remain in Ghana.
I wouldn't hesitate to call any Liberian an ingrate if they demean Ghana in anyway... but of course my initial reaction was uncalled for. The gist of the article was that the author, a Liberian of course, loved to jest Ghanaians, our culture and out food, because he was Liberian. All this notwithstanding, he shares a deep affection for the wonderful people who welcomed him with outstretched arms and provided him hospice... its just that he wished his country was as politically stable as his. The he'd be home where, he thinks, the food is better than Ghanaian food. Well, brother, I hate to tell you this, but hands down, Ghanaian food trumps any delicacy from any where around the globe. I challenge you to a Iron-Chef-esque duel with a Nigerian judge to establish, unequivocably, that Ghanaian food is the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home